Wednesday, June 6, 2007

TUESDAY RIDE ON RENNY

Wow, what a good ride Tuesday night. Especially if you consider that I was tired and I got out to Shade Tree a little later than usual. The ride was an excellent follow up to my lesson on Friday night with Betsy. Betsy has given me some great tools to use to get Renny rounder and working off my aids. First of all, we NEVER go all the way to the wall, we now have an absolute point that I allow him to go to, at the quarter line, but never beyond. We did all of our work last night that way. We rode the diamond exercise alternating the broken line exercises in both directions until Renny was convinced that staying round and engaged was a good thing. Then into the canter using the same diamond pattern- what an improvement. He did try his running a few times, I have him a half halt and sat him down, controlled the speed, he was really working off my leg and was listening. It's very important with Renny that you set the tone of the ride right away. It was all business last night. Cooling out with a walk around the grounds was also an opportunity to keep him alert and listening-staying round and not falling apart. I feel like we've turned a corner and can now really start some fun stuff. Hopefully I'll get another ride with Betsy this week . . .

No comments: